I’ll come clean. Geocake is no hipster start-up. No converted warehouse HQ, no sandwich delivery guys on hover boards.
I am Jon Bryant, ‘Geocake’ a nom de guerre. Solution Architect and GIS Expert for hire. Working with geographic information for over thirty years I have gained unique insight into GIS technology and data products. My career spans Ordnance Survey, government and utilities: at the coal-face of helping real people visualise and explore their data via GIS applications. I am also an adept and imaginative solution architect, capable of seeing the bigger picture and guiding organisations to evolve and thrive in a complex and changing IT landscape.
I have lived through the evolution of GIS software tools. I understand the problems in harnessing their capabilities for real, also the dark arts and mantras of their suppliers. I am passionate about how GIS can reveal true meanings and my goal on any project is delivering genuine business benefit, not the pursuit of IT coolness. I can talk the zeitgeist terms of Agile, Cloud, Big Data etc while retaining a grounded appreciation of what they really deliver.
- solution architecture (TOGAF 9 Certified)
- data analysis
- problem solving
- project management
- Agile working
- presenting/evangelising on GIS applications and benefits to all audiences
- deep understanding and practical experience with ArcGIS, MapInfo, Oracle Spatial, QGIS and Geoserver
- GIS technology within enterprise architecture
- desktop applications vs. web client vs. mobile
- spatial databases
- geographic web services
- GIS adoption across multiple sectors especially government, telecommunications and utilities
- extensive experience and knowledge of Ordnance Survey digital data products
- the full spectrum of geographic information sources
- data analysis
- Cloud deployment
Do not consider me for:
- infrastructure build
- database administration
- writing code (MapBasic anyone?)
What tends to happen?
I have a long track record of designing GIS solutions and bringing them to life. In my most recent long-term role I was responsible for spatial data strategy and mapping applications at a very large UK-based telco. My most recent completed contract was with the Environment Agency as a solution architect working on a range of complex IT projects, ranging from a laboratory information system upgrade to pan-Defra GI initiatives.
I am not especially in love with technology per se. I deliver sustainable business solutions in tune with the prevailing IT strategy. My style is people-centric: no initiative can succeed without full engagement with both user community and development team. Everyone needs to understand and care about the project. This ethos underpins all work undertaken.